Registration and Payment
**Regular registration for the Big Apple Dancesport Challenge 2017 is now open through Sunday, November 19th, 2017! The link to register is here: http://register.o2cm.com/?event=big.**
The list of registered competitors can be found here: http://entries.o2cm.com/?event=big.
Registration Fees and Deadlines
Collegiate competitors (dancing under a college team): $40 early, $45 regular, $50 late
Non-collegiate competitors: $50 early, $55 regular, $60 late
Early Registration: 10/9/17 – 10/22/17
Regular Registration: 10/23/17 – 11/19/17
Late Registration: 11/20/17 – 11/28/17 (**Late registration will not be available on O2CM – please email email@example.com if you are registering late.**)
How to Pay
Please do NOT pay directly on O2CM. Instead, please pay by check, and see the instructions below.
For competitors not covered by collegiate teams: Checks should be made payable to “Crystal Song”, our BADC Chair. In the memo, please write “Ballroom Dance BADC 2017” and the names of the competitors paid for (or include an additional slip of paper with this information). **Please note the deadlines information below:
1. Checks covering only early registration competitors must be postmarked by 10/22/17 to qualify for the early registration discounted fee.
2. Checks covering regular registration competitors must be postmarked by 11/19/17 to qualify for the regular registration fee.
3. All checks postmarked after 11/19/17 will be subject to the late registration fee, and your competitors will not be allowed to compete until the late fee is covered in person at the competition.
For collegiate teams: Checks should be made payable to “Columbia University”. In the memo, please write “Ballroom Dance BADC 2017”, your school, and the names of the competitors paid for (or include a slip of paper with this information). **Please note the deadlines information below:
1. Please indicate which couples did early registration and which couples did regular registration, and have your check postmarked by 11/19/17 to avoid late registration fees.
2. All checks postmarked after 11/19/17 will be subject to the late registration fee, and your competitors will not be allowed to compete until the late fee is covered in person at the competition.
Please mail all checks (include list of competitors paid for in the envelope) to:
4740 Columbia Student Mail
70 Morningside Drive
New York, NY 10027
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you have sent the check. If you have any questions regarding registration, please contact email@example.com.
If you would like an invoice for payment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an invoice.
Cancellation with a full refund is allowed until November 19, 2017. No refunds will be given after this date.
Judges and Officials
BADC attracts some of the best judges and officials in the Northeast, and we are extremely grateful and excited to have the following judges and officials at BADC 2017!
* Fred Astaire Rising Star American Rhythm World Champion in 2010 & 2011
* United States Mambo Champion 2011
* World Finalist Open American Rhythm 2014
* World Salsa Champion 2013
Kateryna is a Championship Adjudicator on the NDCA roster.
During his professional career, Benito Garcia was a US Open Professional American Rhythm finalist, and a runner up at the US and IDSF World Mambo Championships. He has performed all over the world and in all venues, from theatrical performances on the New York stage, to ballroom shows at the Kremlin Cup in Moscow, Russia and the WDC World Pro-Am Championships and Pro Latin Exhibition in Buenos Aires and the Bahamas. Benito was also a featured performer on the PBS show, Championship Ballroom Dancing. Benito is perhaps best known for his choreography, having worked for the Holiday Pops Concert at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC, Fox TV Latin America, and the New York City Center Theater’s 25th Annual Gala. His choreography was also featured in Dance Legends. As a coach, he specializes in training junior and youth dancers, combining ballroom technique with cross training in other dance styles as well as fitness and core training. Benito’s students have enjoyed great success, including final and podium placements at the US National Championships.
Tatiana Keegan has won scores of International Latin ballroom championships in the United States and abroad and placed among the top dancers in the world at the Blackpool Dance Festival. Born in Volgograd, Russia, she was a standout rhythmic gymnast under top Soviet coaches starting at age 7, took up ballroom at 14, and soon became the Russian National Amateur Champion in Ten Dances. In the United States, she won many of the most competitive U.S. Open and Rising Star Latin championships, including the Emerald Ball in Los Angeles two years in a row, the Ohio Star Ball, and the U.S. Professional Ballroom Championship in Miami. She also reached the World Professional Latin Championships in Bonn, Germany. Her achievements have led to national television appearances on The Late Show With David Letterman, Live With Regis and Kathie Lee, and the AMC reality TV series Into Character and feature articles in Woman’s Day and Fortune magazines. She currently performs show dances with ballroom champion Frederick Havez and teaches International Latin and Standard styles to students of all ages and levels in Manhattan and Westchester County.
We are so thrilled to present the BADC 2017 show couple, Marat Gimaev and Alina Basyuk! They will be performing a wonderful showcase on the evening of Saturday, Dec 2nd at BADC 2017.
Marat and Alina started dancing together in 1999. Their incredible list of accomplishments includes their titles as Blackpool Professional Rising Star champions, three-time World Amateur 10-dance champions, two-time World Cup champions, and finalists in the UK Open, International, and World Championships. Most recently — on their last night before retiring from competition — they became Blackpool Professional Standard finalists.
**VIP ticket holders get to meet Marat and Alina after the show!
BADC 2017 will take place all of Saturday and Sunday morning until noon, December 2nd-3rd, 2017.
***Please note that the Registration Table will only be open from 7:00 am – 6:30 pm and from 8:00 pm – 10:00 pm on Saturday, and from 7:00 am – 11:00 am on Sunday.***
**Please be ready at least 30 min before your event to ensure the competition runs on time! Please note that all times are subject to change.**
We will be clearing the ballroom twice during the competition, and we request your assistance in gathering your belongings and making a speedy exit!
*Please note that all of Novice Latin will take place in the afternoon during the Rhythm session.
Saturday, December 2
7:00 am – Doors Open
7:30 am – Bronze Smooth (Waltz/Tango, Foxtrot)
7:50 am – Gold Smooth (Waltz/Tango/Foxtrot/Viennese Waltz)
8:30 am – Newcomer Smooth (Waltz/Tango, Foxtrot)
9:10 am – Silver Smooth (Waltz/Tango, Foxtrot/Viennese Waltz)
10:40 am – Bronze Standard (Waltz/Quickstep, Tango)
11:10 am – Gold Standard (Waltz/Tango/Foxtrot/Quickstep, Viennese Waltz)
12:30 pm – Newcomer Standard (Waltz/Quickstep, Tango)
1:20 pm – Silver Standard (Waltz/Quickstep, Tango/Foxtrot)
Syllabus Rhythm + Novice Latin*
*Please note that all of Novice Latin will take place in the afternoon, during the Rhythm session.
3:00 pm – Bronze Rhythm (Chacha/Rumba, Swing)
3:10 pm – Gold Rhythm (Chacha/Rumba/Swing/Mambo, Bolero)
4:10 pm – Newcomer Rhythm (Chacha/Rumba, Swing)
4:50 pm – Silver Rhythm (Chacha/Rumba, Swing/Mambo)
5:20 pm – Novice Latin (Samba/Chacha/Rumba)
Evening Showcase and Open Level Events
6:30 pm – CLEAR THE BALLROOM
7:00 pm – Evening Showcase by Marat and Alina!
8:00 pm – Novice Standard (Waltz/Foxtrot/Quickstep)
8:10 pm – Pre-Champ Rhythm (Chacha/Rumba/Swing/Mambo, Bolero)
8:40 pm – Pre-Champ Standard (Waltz/Tango/Foxtrot/Quickstep, Viennese Waltz)
8:50 pm – Championship Rhythm (Chacha/Rumba/Swing/Bolero/Mambo)
9:20 pm – Championship Standard (Waltz/Tango/Viennese Waltz/Foxtrot/Quickstep)
10:10 pm – Pre-Champ Smooth (Waltz/Tango/Foxtrot/Viennese Waltz)
10:50 pm – Championship Smooth (Waltz/Tango/Foxtrot/Viennese Waltz)
11:10 pm – General Dance
11:15 pm – Pre-Champ Latin (Chacha/Samba/Rumba/Jive, Paso Doble)
11:30 pm – Championship Latin (Chacha/Samba/Rumba/Paso Doble/Jive)
Sunday, December 3
7:00 am – Doors Open
7:30 am – Bronze Latin (Chacha/Rumba, Jive)
8:10 am – Gold Latin (Chacha/Rumba/Samba/Jive)
9:30 am – Newcomer Latin (Chacha/Rumba, Jive)
10:10 am – Silver Latin (Chacha/Rumba, Samba/Jive)
11:30 am – CLEAR THE BALLROOM
Thanks for coming, see you at BADC 2018!
Rules and Policies
CU Ballroom believes strongly in healthy competition that treats our competitors fairly and empowers dancers of all levels. It is critical for competitors to understand our rules and policies in order for us to achieve our goals, so we encourage everyone to read the following rules thoroughly. Feel free to contact the board if you have any questions!
Each competitor can register for a maximum of 8 entries. An entry is defined as one event (ex. Bronze W/T or Gold W/T/F/Q). For example, you can register for all Bronze events (W/T and Q in Standard, W/T and F in Smooth, C/R and J in Latin, and C/R and S in Rhythm) and use up your 8 entries.
- Double registration for two levels in the same style is not allowed for Silver and below. You cannot register for both Newcomer and Bronze or Bronze and Silver in the same style.
- You are allowed to register for both Silver and Gold, Gold and Pre-Championship, or Pre-Championship and Championship in the same style.
- Those who are double-registered in scholarship events and make both finals will only be eligible for the higher-level scholarship.
- Due to time constraints, we will only be offering Novice events in the International styles this year.
- If you have ever registered for Championship, or if you have 4+ in Pre-Championship, you are ineligible to register for Novice at BADC.
- Because the purpose of this event is to serve as a transitional level for couples who have recently pointed out of Gold and are competing with Open choreography for the first time, we will not be making any exceptions to this policy.
- All same-sex partnerships will be allowed.
- Such partnerships must adhere to the same restrictions on registration stated above.
- Accumulated YCN (Youth and College Network) points will apply regardless of role. For example, if you have pointed out of Silver Standard as a follow, you will not be allowed to lead Silver Standard; you must lead Gold Standard if you want to switch roles.
- If you register as a lead in one style, you cannot double-register in the same style as a follow infor another level. In other words, you cannot register to lead Silver Latin and follow Gold Latin; you must lead or follow in both levels.
Other registration rules:
- There are no restrictions on age or affiliation. Youth, adult, and non-collegiate competitors are welcome.
- We strongly encourage competitors to dance at a higher level if they have placed out of three dances in any style at a given level. Please be considerate of your fellow dancers. We will contact anyone whom we deem unfit for the level they are registered for.
The accumulation of 7+ points in an event at a particular level according to the Youth and College Network point system makes a competitor ineligible to compete in that event or level. All couples must compete at the level of the more experienced dancer.
If you notice any registered entries that should be ineligible for the level entered, please email us at email@example.com by 12:00 pm NOON on Wednesday, November 29th, 2017, and include relevant published results list in your email. We will respond by email after our registrars have investigated your claims. Any invigilation emails sent after the deadline will be discarded.
TBA (to-be-assigned) partnerships are allowed. We will do our best day-of to match up all dancers who have not registered with a partner.
Newcomer and Bronze: ISTD Bronze syllabus for International style, USISTD Bronze syllabus for American style. No continuity footwork.
Silver and Gold: ISTD Silver or Gold syllabus respectively for International style, and USISTD, DVIDA, FADS, AMDS Silver or Gold syllabus respectively or any other major syllabus for American style.
Syllabus Viennese Waltz and Paso Doble: ISTD Gold syllabus and below for International style, and USISTD, DVIDA, FADS, AMDS Gold syllabus and below or any other major syllabus for American style.
Open: Not restricted to syllabus, but no lifts permitted.
Note on invigilation: Couples who commit an infraction will get a warning in the preliminary rounds. If they still commit the infraction in the final, they will be dropped one place.
Costumes are prohibited in Newcomer but are allowed in all other levels.
Costumes are defined as:
- Anything tailored with rhinestones, sequins or feathers
- Tailsuits and Latin shirts with a slitted front or other such styling
The organizers have the right to eject anyone from the premises for unruly conduct or for violation of any of the rules or guidelines. Flagrant disregard of any of the rules or regulations will result in a mark down of placement or in a disqualification where necessary.
Should you change your plans for competing after registering, please notify us by November 19th, 2017. In case of extenuating circumstances, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for an exception. Refunds will not be made if we are notified later than the stipulated deadline.
We understand that it might be difficult for competitors to find suitable and affordable accommodations in New York during the competition period. As such, the BADC Board and the rest of the CU Ballroom Dance Club will try our best to provide housing for competitors in need.
For teams that require housing during competition period, please have your team CAPTAIN contact email@example.com to request the housing form for your team. We will do our best to accommodate everyone, but housing is not guaranteed and is given on a first come, first served basis. **Please also take note that the deadline for submitting housing requests is Sunday, November 12th, 2017.**
If you have any further questions regarding housing, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you on December 2 and 3!
Exclusive Q&A With Marat and Alina, BADC 2017 Show Couple!